Thursday, March 26, 2009

Vacillation is a killer



I have entered into a new time in my studies. I have one final quarter here at Seminary and am taking two distance courses and one independent study, therefore I do not have any actual "in class" class time. I have dedicated Thursdays to my day of study where I will concentrate on my three classes, but discovered a challenging protagonist this morning, vacillation. This is not the first time that I have wrestled with this monster. Each morning when my alarm clock makes me aware of my morning run I go toe to toe with this beast. Do I get up and run, or do I keep sleeping? Can I make it through the day if I get up? Can I make it if I don't? "It would do you good to just get some sleep." "Get up you lazy bum and run."

As I sat on my couch this morning I entered the ring of battle. What should I go after first? Which of the three classes is most important? I should go for my run now and get it out of the way. No, I am tired and should just take a quick nap, it is still early (7:15 am) and I have plenty of day. Run first, then school, and nap in the afternoon. Nah, I will just watch some television while I eat and then get on my school work. Nap, run, school. Back and forth you go for minutes and minutes until you have spent an hour bouncing between the tasks for the day and have wasted an hour. I know I am not the only one who engages in this war of the mind on a daily basis and know that it is not a one and done deal.

Tomorrow I will certainly enter the same ring with the bell of my alarm. I think that a list and a plan that is devised the day prior would be a good move to game plan for this ugly antagonist that lurks around every corner. Press on!

No comments: