Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Retreat



This past weekend I was the speaker at a high school/middle school retreat in northern Minnesota. It was not only an honor to speak with these students about the Kingdom of God, but to have my family there with me for a little time of retreating. I have taken some time to really think about what a "retreat" is and how much all of us needs to take some time to retreat from our daily lives. Shortly after moving into our cabin, Mattie, our four year old, wondered where the T.V. was in our cabin. This struck me as funny at first, but then saddened me upon further reflection. Our we that into T.V. and technology that we notice when it is not there? I think about myself tonight when I was wanting to type this post, and am shocked by how connected we are to our technology. When my internet does not work I am on the verge of flipping out. How is it that we have become so attached to technology? What would happen if we turned off our cell phones, blackberries, lap tops, T.V.s and the like for one week? One day? What would it mean to really retreat from the madness that is the American life?

As the amount of cell phone towers out numbers towns and as wi-fi hotspots pop up on every corner it is harder and harder to remove technology from our lives. People have moved from daily blogs, to mobile status updates to twittering about their every step and thought. Do we really need to know when Lance Armstrong has lunch or what he has for lunch? Do you care that I just wiped up my children's vomit? American evangelicals cry out to hear the voice of God, but will not take the time to unplug the trendy white ear buds to open their auditory receptors. The noise and light pollution that taints our cities has robbed millions of people of the joy and beauty that is found in the starry night sky that can be viewed only in the wilderness. The silence that can be found in the vacant space of undeveloped wilderness is a priceless treasure that all should have the opportunity to experience.

In this Lenten season I have heard a variety of things that people have chosen to refrain from. My challenge to you is not to give up something, but to embrace something. Find time to retreat. You do not have to drive to Trout Lake Camp to have a weekend retreat, but you do need to unplug. Turn off the cell phone, unplug the computer, and refuse to give into the lure of technology for a period. Be intentional about what you are looking for and go get it. "Ask and ye shall receive. Seek and ye shall find." Jesus retreated time and time again while he was here on earth so how much more should we be following his lead? It is hard to hear a voice in a crowded room. Take some time to retreat, recharge, and re-encounter our Savior.

No comments: