Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Treats



I have been spending a significant amount of time over the last few weeks creating and devouring "Christmas" treats. I have been wondering why we relegate these scrumptious goodies, like Hershey Kiss Cookies, to the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Why do we not enjoy these packages of culinary pleasure in July? There are a few things that I can argue should remain in its allotted time slot, egg nog, but I would like to see us bring some of these delicacies into other months and seasons of the year. We could be eating red, white, and blue thumbprints around the 4th of July. Easter could be even better with rosettes. There are a few items that I think need to be reconsidered as "treats". The first of them being plum pudding. Who wants to have trinkets placed in the middle of their bread mash? Thinking of chomping into a metal trinket conjures up nightmares of finding bones in my McNuggets. Let us come together and revaluate why we only allow treats during certain seasons, and what we classify as "treats". It could be great conversation around the Christmas tree this year.

2 comments:

Jess :) said...

Oh, how stinkin' cute are those kiddos?!?! I just want to give them big hugs and kisses!! I'm hoping that I'll get to see you guys over Christmas...you know...as you do a "pass" through SF!!! :)

Anyways, looks like you had fun with those yummy treats! I'm sure they taste fabulous...just like EVERYTHING else you make!

Love,
Jess :)

Chuck Pefley said...

Oh, I heartily agree :)

My wife makes scrumptious fruitcake every November ... and we eat a slice or two all the way through the year till next November. Sometimes I find a small loaf tucked into my suitcase when I'm on a trip ... last time was opening my bag in an Italian hotel and finding fruitcake in my shoe ... in the month of September. You're right ... some treats should be year-a-round.

Happy Holidays to you, your brothers and dad, and the rest of your family!