Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ravaging Wolves at the Gym

So this morning I was working out at the local YMCA and encountered the savagery that takes place before 7:00 am at the gym. I set my dumbells down, walked to get a drink, and some guy swoops in and snatches them up like a hungry crow diving on fresh road kill. I was shocked. Did he not see that I was using them? A similar type of incident happened last week when I was at the same Y at nearly the same time. A man with a shaved head and a scowl that would frighten young children dove onto a machine right in front of me as if he was going to miss out on his bread alotment for the month. Do people really need to act like this at the gym? I thought that those who worked out before the rest of the world was awake was supposed to be bound together by mutual deference. If you are getting out of bed hours before the sun cracks the horizon, you should acknowledge and respect the rest of the morning goons. So the next time that you are thinking about rolling out of bed early and heading to the gym for an early workout, watch out for those ravaging wolves who are scoping out your equipment from across the gym.

2 comments:

Tyler said...

just make sure you mark you territory/weights.

Anonymous said...

this is why i still shutter when i think of the weight room behind the bike shed in the land of teepees. i remember the earth shaking grunts of a certain chancey (not to mention others). so whether it's goons usurping your weights, or just scaring you off with their ear-piercing eruptions, i tend to stick to the lap swim.