Saturday, July 12, 2008

You can't judge a berry by it's color!



Have you ever eyed up the strawberries in the produce section and simply began to salivate at their deep red hues? Those plump red morsels screaming at you to take a bite and taste the succulent juices that they have trapped within them. So you cave in and buy a package, or two, and head home to indulge in some of the seasonal sweeties. You carefully open the package, wash each berry by hand and chomp down. The only problem is you do not feel the softness of a ripe berry or feel the juices explode onto your taste buds, you simply taste a bland, hard piece of fruit that resembles a strawberry. I had this problem this morning when I went to eat my breakfast. I was ecstatic about cutting up some strawberries and sprinkling them into my morning pan of oats, only to find the bright red exterior of the berries to be a facade. The inner heart of every berry I cut was whitier than a piece of copier paper. This made me long for the sweet juicy berries I had plucked from my garden only days ago. This made me think about the "fresh" produce we are buying at our local grocery stores. Are we really getting "fresh" produce or are we getting produce that has been genetically modified for extended shelf life and packaged so that each berry would ripen on it's journey to my local store? How sad it is that many people do not know what a REAL strawberry tastes like. Billions will never have the opportunity to experience the bliss that comes when the sugary sweet juices gush into your mouth, and often drip down your face (and occasion onto your shirt). We have been so deceived into thinking that the produce we buy at the store tastes the way God intended it to. Oh to pick a strawberry from the vine and simply suck off the supple berry from it's stem. To pop a handful of FRESH blueberries into your mouth and chomp down. I encourage everyone to seek out their local berry farmers, farmers markets, and wild berry bushes to experience what summer berries really are to taste like. Take some time to experience some berry bliss, you will never look at your local grocery store produce the same again.

No comments: